Monday, April 23, 2018

A Kids Perspective on Disney Pin Trading


Pin trading is a very fun thing to do but it can be super addicting. You can find pins of your favorite Disney Character doing something silly! It can be a very expensive hobby and confusing. So I'am going explain the lingo and tips for starting.

History of Pins
Pins have been around for years in some way or another. Button Patents have been around since at least 1896. The oldest Disney pin we own is from around 1970 and is themed around Orange Bird. But Official Disney Pin Trading didn't start until 1999. During the Countdown to the millennium they started a pin promotion and they have been making pins ever since.

Steps
1. Go buy pins. The cheapest pins you can get at the parks are usually in mystery packs or pin sets and they will end up costing around $5-$6 per pin.

2. Go find pin lanyards and boards. Most Cast Members have them and a lot of sit down restaurants have them. You can also find them at shops & hotel front desks. Be sure to ask nicely.

3. Once you find a pin you like, you ask for the pin that you want and offer them one of your pins in exchange.

Some Pin Terms
NFT/NFS-Not For Trade or Sell

OE-Open Edition

HM-Hidden Mickey, note the small Hidden Mickey emblem somewhere on the pin. These are issued to cast members, so you get them by trading!

LE#-Limited Edition of #, these are only made in a certain number and are usually for special events

Ways to Wear or Display Them

I have been exploring quite a few ways to display them and I'am going to go over some of the main ones!


The first thing that comes to mind are lanyards. While lanyards are functional and can have cool designs, I find that after a while they can start scratching my neck and make me itchy. You can wear them on your clothes but you don't won't to wear too many or your clothes will have a lot of holes.

Some of my favorite pins on one of my lanyards

 So one of my favorites are pin boards, you can hold a lot of pins and you can even decorate them with cool designs.

I had an old cork board lying around so I covered it up in some fabric I found. It is kinda hard to see them, but it looks so cool.

But I like the portability of a backpack, you can take them anywhere and can show of some of you best pins. The downside is they can easily get a little scratched. I was online looking for a better option for storing pins when I found something called a Pinfolio. I went on etsy and looked them up. On their etsy site they have a bunch of designs so I looked through them and I found a Figment one. I was so happy. I really like it, it holds quite a few pins and the pins don't feel like they are going to fall out. The only problem is that the back pocket does not have a zipper. But I really love the design and I feel like the pins are protected in there.

The front of my Pinfolio! I picked the Figment one because he is one of my favorites.

These are my Limited Edition and my figment/orange bird collections.
This page is full of mostly Attractions pins and Traders.

The only downside is it can kind of be expensive after awhile. Overall pin trading is a really fun hobby. Especially for a person who goes to Disney World a lot!

I give Pin Trading 4 and half, because it is super fun even thought it has it hiccups!

I give Pinfolio a 4 stars because it is a really solid display unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr and Mrs Easter Bunny at Magic Kingdom